This time of year brings all kinds of wonderful things – family, fireplaces, snowball fights… but one of the best parts about this time of year is the food and drink! This twist on classic hot cocoa is made from scratch and involves none other than charcoal-roasted marshmallows, which is like being transported to a summer campfire in December. Warm up with this hot cup of pure joy. Happy grilling!
Homemade Hot Chocolate with Charcoal-Roasted Marshmallows (by Chris Lilly)
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 6 large marshmallows
- Preheat your charcoal grill until the temperature reaches 350°-400°F. While the grill is preheating, combine the milk, heavy cream and salt in a small sauce pan. Place the pan directly over the hot coals until the liquid begins to steam.
- Whisk the cocoa powder into the liquid. When it starts to boil, remove the pan from the grill and add chocolate chips. Set aside, and allow the chocolate to melt.
- Place two marshmallows on the end of a grill fork. Roast the marshmallows over the charcoal fire until they turn toasty brown (or until cooked as desired). Repeat until all 6 marshmallows are toasted. Place one marshmallow into each mug, set aside.
- Whisk the hot milk mixture vigorously until the melted chocolate is blended evenly.
- Pour the hot chocolate over the marshmallows and serve. Enjoy!