It may be a couple days late for the Super Bowl, but it’s never too late for good party food. Take this savory, cheesy appetizer to your next dinner party, March Madness get-together, or even to next year’s Super Bowl, and you’ll be the hit of the night. Happy grilling!
Sea Turtle Eggs (by Chris of Nibble Me This)
- 1 lb Jimmy Dean Sage Breakfast Sausage, cut into 10-11 slices
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, regular or whipped
- 1/2 cup shredded colby-jack cheese (or your favorite shredded cheese)
- 2 jalapeno chile, de-seeded and finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp your favorite dry BBQ rub (divided)
- Set up your charcoal grill for indirect cooking or smoking. Preheat it to 250°F. Add a few chunks of wood to your smoker, such as cherry or hickory.
- Mix the cream cheese, cheese, jalapeno and 1/2 tsp of dry rub together.
- Place about 1 tsp of the cheese mixture on each slice of sausage. Pull up the edges of the sausage and seal, forming it into a round, golf ball sized “egg.”
- Season your “eggs” with the remaining 1 tsp of BBQ rub.
- Smoke the “eggs” for about 90 minutes. Enjoy!